903.4. The Commander variant uses color identity to determine what cards can be in a deck with a certain commander. The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that card's mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204).
- Example: Bosh, Iron Golem is a legendary artifact creature with mana cost and the ability “, Sacrifice an artifact: Bosh, Iron Golem deals damage equal to the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost to target creature or player.” Bosh's color identity is red.
- 903.4a Color identity is established before the game begins.
- 903.4b Reminder text is ignored when determining a card's color identity. See rule 207.2.
- 903.4c. The back face of a double-faced card (see rule 711) is included when determining a card's color identity. This is an exception to rule 711.4a.
- Example: Civilized Scholar is the front face of a double-faced card with mana cost . Homicidal Brute is the back face of that double-faced card and has a red color indicator. The card's color identity is blue and red.
| Latest revision — April 8, 2016 — Comprehensive Rules
Wiki Comprehensive Rulebook project; discuss this.