From Judge Wiki (English)
Judge Classes Week 4 Test
- How many layers are there, not including sublayers?
- What are the layers in order, not including sublayers?
- What are the sublayers and which layer has them?
- What is the order (usually) used to determine how we apply effects in each layer? What might impact that ordering?
- What layer do effects that impact game rules get processed? What are some examples of effects that would not fall under the standard layers listed in questions 1–3?
- Antony controls Grizzly Bears with a +1/+1 counter on it and casts Giant Growth. After Giant Growth resolves Antony casts Clone, copying Grizzly Bears. What are the characteristics of Clone?
- Anson controls Magus of the Moon and Sacred Foundry. Nancy casts Snakeform on Magus of the Moon. After Snakeform has resolved what are the characteristics of Sacred Foundry?
- Axle controls Goblin King and Goblin Artillery. Nigel casts Nameless Inversion on Goblin Artillery. What are the characteristics of Goblin Artillery after Nameless Inversion has resolved?
- Arthur controls Grizzly Bears. Nancy casts Twisted Image on Grizzly Bears, then once that has resolved casts Ovinize on the same Grizzly Bears. What are the characteristics of Grizzly Bears after both spells have resolved?
- Artemis has Thought Nibbler on the battlefield and casts Null Profusion. What is Artemis’s maximum hand size?
- A Yavimaya Wurm attacks and is blocked by a Mirran Crusader. How much damage, if any, can trample over?
- A 3/3 with trample and double strike is attacking and is blocked by a 1/1 indestructible. How much damage can trample over during each combat damage step?
- 1. Copy 2. Control 3. Text 4. Type 5. Color 6. Abilities (granting/removing) 7. Power and Toughness
- There are five sublayers which are only within the Power and Toughness layer. 7a. Characteristic Defining Abilities (CDAs) 7b. Power and Toughness setting 7c. Power and Toughness changing (+X/+X or -X/-X) 7d. Counters that add or remove power and toughness 7e. Power and Toughness switching
- Within each layer effects are applied in timestamp order, however, any dependencies that exist will supersede the timestamp order and characteristic-defining abilities are always applied first.
- There is no specific layer that effects game rules, these are always applied last after power and toughness switching. Cards with abilities that would not fall in the standard layers are: Intimidation Bolt and Gnat Miser. Intimidation Bolt prevents creatures from blocking for the duration of the turn, and Gnat Miser reduces your maximum hand size by one.
- Clone’s effect happens in layer 1 (Copy) and does not go any further through the layers, so the counter and pump from Giant Growth will not be on the Clone-d Grizzly Bears. Clone is now a 2/2 green Bear creature named Grizzly Bears that has a mana cost of .
- Magus of the Moon’s ability applies in an earlier layer than Snakeform. By time we get to layer 6 where Snakeform would take it away, the ability has already applied; the land is still a mountain.
- Goblin Artillery is a 4/0 red creature with no subtypes that is about to die to SBAs. Once Nameless Inversion resolves it will remove all types in layer 4, and then proceed to change the P/T in sublayer 7c. Also in 7c, Goblin King’s pump will no longer happen, since the Goblin Artillery no longer has the Goblin subtype. Goblin Artillery is a 4/0 red creature with no subtypes.
- The layers process in order from 1–7 every turn regardless of when a spell is cast or resolved, so in this scenario once Ovinize resolves we will apply all continuous effects in order. Ovinize will make the Grizzly Bears a 0/1 creature in layer 7b, then we will once again apply the Twisted Image to switch P/T in 7e, making Grizzly Bears a 1/0 with no abilities (still).
- Two. These effects will be applied in timestamp order, thus if the Null Profusion is cast last, it takes precedence.
- Up to 4 damage can trample over. When calculating lethal damage, we look at the toughness of the creature and subtract any damage already marked on it. In this case, the 2 damage to the Crusader is prevented and 4 can trample over.
- In the first combat damage step, 2 damage can trample over. In the second combat damage step, 3 more damage can trample over as the indestructible creature already has 1 damage marked on it.