Week 7 Practice Test
Judge Classes Week 7 Test
1. What are the three key words for a triggered ability?
2. Is there a restriction to when a trigger can occur? When is the trigger added to the stack?
3. If multiple triggers have occurred for each player how are they added to the stack?
4. If a triggered ability has an intervening if clause when are the trigger conditions checked? Do trigger conditions with a “may” ability always trigger?
5. What is the difference between a zone change trigger and an enter’s the battlefield/leaves the battlefield trigger?
6. What makes something a state trigger? When can a state trigger occur?
7. Adam casts Sharuum the Hegemon and chooses to return Sculpting Steel with Sharuum’s enter the battlefield ability. If Adam has no other artifacts in his graveyard, what are the legal targets for the Sculpting Steel (now Sharuum)’s enter the battlefield ability?
8. Arnold is at 40 life and controls Felidar Sovereign. During Arnold’s upkeep, after the trigger has gone on the stack Nicodemus casts Shock, targeting Arnold. What happens after Shock resolves?
9. Nanette controls Yixlid Jailer, and Amanda casts Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. Nanette casts Cancel targeting Kozilek. What happens after Cancel resolves?
10. Anson controls Astral Slide and cycles Secluded Steppe, choosing to exile Nick’s Grizzly Bears. Nick casts Demystify targeting Astral Slide. What happens during the end of turn step?
11. Andy has Jace Beleren out and uses the -1 to draw a card. He draws another Jace Beleren and casts it. After it resolves, what happens? If the new Jace remains on the battlefield, can Andy activate it?
12. Allanon has 3 Pack Rats on the battlefield. Ned casts Cone of Flame targeting all three Pack Rats. What happens after Cone of Flame resolves?
13. AJ has Tarmogoyf with no cards in any graveyards. He casts Hornet Sting targeting Tarmogoyf. What happens to Tarmogoyf after Hornet Sting resolves?
1. When Whenever At
2. There is no restriction, a trigger will occur any time it's condition is met. It is added to the stack before the next time a player would recieve priority.
3. First the active player adds any triggers to the stack in the order of their choice, then the nonactive player repeats with their triggers.
4. Intervening If Clauses will check both when the condition is met as well as when the trigger goes to resolve to see if the condition is still met. May triggers do always trigger, if they require a target then the target must be selected, even if the player controlling trigger chooses not to exercise their option.
5. ETB and LTB triggers occur based on the game state immediately before the permanent left the battlefield. The triggered abilities actually trigger from the battlefield. Zone change triggers attempt to trigger from the new zone the permanent has entered.
6. A state trigger only happens when a specific game state is met, a state trigger can occur any time, however, only one instance of a particular state trigger may be on the stack at any time.
7. SBAs are processed immediately before any triggers are added to the stack so Adam chooses either Sharuum or Sculpting Steel to go to the graveyard. Once the ETB ability is added to the stack the only legal target will be the artifact Adam chose to put in the graveyard, the original Sharuum or Sculpting Steel.
8. Felidar Sovereign has an intervening if clause, meaning it will recheck on resolution. When the trigger resolves it will see Arnold at 38 life and do nothing, the game will continue.
9. Kozilek's ability is a zone change trigger, which means it will trigger from the graveyard. Since in the graveyard Yixlid Jailer removes Kozilek’s ability, the trigger does not occur and no cards are shuffled back.
10. Grizzly Bears will return to play. Astral Slide sets up a delayed trigger that will still occur, even if Astral Slide is no longer on the battlefield.
11. Andy must choose one of the Jaces to keep and all the others are put into the graveyard. If he chooses to keep the newest Jace, he can activate it as it is a new object.
12. When state based actions are checked, one of the Pack Rats has 3 damage on it so it is destroyed. All Pack Rats immediately become 2/2s. Because SBAs did something, they check again and see a Pack Rat that has 2 damage on it and is destroyed. This process repeats to destroy the final Pack Rat.
13. As Hornet Sting resolves, it deals 1 damage to the Tarmogoyf. However, SBAs are not checked until a player would receive priority. The next step of the spell resolving is to put it in the graveyard, which makes Tarmogoyf a 1/2. When SBAs are checked, they see a 1/2 with 1 damage marked on it and do nothing.