Week 8 Practice Test
Return to Ravnica Block
1. Nate has a Bear Cub with Hands of Binding encoded on to it, and a 1/1. Albany casts Traitorous Instinct targeting the Bear Cub at attacks with it. Does Albany get a cipher trigger, and if so, can Albany cast the copied ciphered spell targeting Nate's 1/1?
2. Abernathy has an Experiment One with two +1/+1 counters on it on the battlefield and casts and resolves a Bear Cub. He has Giant Growth in hand. Can he respond in such a way to make the Experiment One get another counter?
3. Andy has Kingpin's Pet encoded with Hands of Binding. He attacks, and his opponent has no blocks, so he casts the encoded Hands of Binding. With the Hands of Binding copy on the stack, he casts Reverberate targeting Hands of Binding. Assuming no one has further responses, how many times and for what spells did Extort trigger?
4. Arcturus just resolved Diluvian Primordial, and targets Nicolai's Turn // Burn in the graveyard. In what ways can Arcturus cast Turn // Burn?
5. What happens if you copy an Overloaded spell on the stack? Is the copy Overloaded?
6. Arthas attacks with a Bear Cub. Nicol blocks with a Splatter Thug with no counters on it. Nicol then uses Burst of Strength to put a +1/+1 counter on Splatter Thug. What happens to the attacking Bear Cub? Is it blocked?
1. Since Albany controls the creature, Albany controls the Cipher trigger as well. Albany can cast the encoded Hands of Binding, and since it is Albany casting the Hands of Binding then Albany can target Albany's (I'm not sure if Albany is a boy name or girl name) opponent's creature.
2. No. Because evolve is an intervening if, it never triggered and went on the stack. There is no way to time it such that Giant Growth could make the Bear Cub big enough to trigger evolve.
3. Extort will trigger 2 times, once for the copy of Hands of Binding and once for Reverberate. At one point the stack will look like HoB > Extort > Reverberate > Extort. Because Hands of Binding has you cast the copy of the spell, it triggers extort. However, Reverberate just puts a copy of the spell on the stack, so the copy of the spell will not trigger extort.
4. Arcturus may cast either Turn or Burn. Arcturus may not cast Turn // Burn as one spell because Fuse only works while the card is in your hand.
5. Although the text changing effect that changes "target" to "each" is not copiable, choices made while casting a spell are copiable. The choice to overload the spell will be copied, so the copy of the spell is also overloaded.
6. Once a creature is blocked, it remains blocked, even if the blocking creature can no longer block it. In this case, even though Splatter Thug now has a "Can't block" clause, it is still blocking the Bear Cub. The Bear Cub will be first striked to oblivion.
1. Andy has a Bear Cub and has cast Hopeful Eidolon targeting it. In response to Hopeful Eidolon, Nilbog casts Doom Blade targeting Bear Cub. After Doom Blade resolves, which of the following spells are able to target the Hopeful Eidolon on the stack: Negate, Essence Scatter, Annul, Hisoka's Defiance
2. Arduino has a Soul Warden with Boon Satyr enchanting it. He casts Gods Willing targeting the Soul Warden, choosing Green. What happens?
3. AlphabetSoup has Gray Merchant of Asphodel out and casts and resolves another Gray Merchant of Asphodel. In response to Gray Merchant's trigger, Naomi kills the new Gray Merchant using Go for the Throat. What happens when the trigger resolves, if it resolves?
4. AJ has Akroan Skyguard and Akroan Crusader. He casts Giant Growth targeting the Skyguard, then Swerve targeting Giant Growth. He chooses to change the target of Giant Growth from the Skyguard to the Crusader. Does he get a 1/1 token?
5. Ali is attacking with a Fleecemane Lion. Nate blocks with a Bear Cub. Ali activates Fleecemane Lion's monstrosity ability. In response, Nate casts Doom Blade targeting the Fleecemane Lion. In response to that, Ali activates Fleecemane Lion again. Is this series of plays legal? What happens as the stack resolves?
1. Negate and Annul can counter Hopeful Eidolon, because it is an Enchantment Aura until the point that it starts to resolve. Essence Scatter can not because Hopeful Eidolon has not reverted to a creature yet. When Hopeful Eidolon lost the creature type, it also lost any relevant subtypes, so the Hisoka's Defiance also cannot counter the Eidolon.
2. Boon Satyr will be removed as a state based action. As this unattaches Boon Satyr, it reverts to being a creature instead of going to the graveyard. Since the Satyr was already on the battlefield, it is not entering new and does not trigger Soul Warden.
3. We look at the devotion as the trigger resolves. Since AlphabetSoup's devotion is currently 2, that is how much damage is dealt/life gained.
4. No. Heroic only triggers on a spell being cast and targeting the creature with Heroic. In this case, Giant Growth now targets the Crusader but it was not cast targeting it. The Skyguard's Heroic trigger will resolve and the Crusader will never trigger.
5. The newest Monstrosity activation will resolve, putting a counter on Fleecemane Lion and making him hexproof. Doom Blade is countered when it tries to resolve. The older Monstrosity activation will also resolve, but will do nothing, as the Lion is already monstrous.